[nycbug-talk] cooling a cluster...

George Georgalis george
Fri Jan 21 09:04:38 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:29:34PM -0500, Isaac Levy wrote:
>Hi George,
>
>On Jan 20, 2005, at 3:41 PM, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>>A new office is in the final stages and there is an architect for
>>layout and wall construction etc; but someone to do the AC plan is
>>needed. It would seem to me, the cluster exhaust could be utilized for
>>office heat in the winter, but how exactly is that done? There will be
>>a maximum of about 30 computers in a small space, in the center of the
>>building. Presently, the plan is to install an 8 ton unit for the
>>entire
>>office vs 5 ton AC unit for a no computer office... Can anyone provide
>>referrals for the AC designing work? The office is near Hartford CT.
>>
>>// George
>
>I'm totally not sure about your situation here, but I'll throw this bit
>in-
>
>I grew up around my father's small HVAC business in Kansas City, and
>one thing I can DEFINATELY say, don't guess with the tonnage- simply
>upping the tonnage is NOT A GUARANTEE you'll be able to control the
>climate, get a professional to take a look at the situation.

Yes. I knew there was more to it but wasn't sure what.

...imagine running an 8 ton AC for a rack in the winter? we're looking
at a unit specially (and only for) the rack.  I like the idea of
partitioning the front and the back of the units but that may require
more work than is appropriate here.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org