[nycbug-talk] thoughts, issues, and ideas.

Isaac Levy ike
Mon Jan 24 12:30:46 EST 2005

Hi Steve, All,

On Jan 24, 2005, at 10:06 AM, steve wrote:

>  i would like to propose that we create a separate mailing list called
> bsdmanagers,

Steve, I appreciate your sentiment, and insomuch as I agree with the
others that a seperate nycbug-bsd-managers list would fragment things,
I do want to hone in on what your thinking about here-

If I'm getting this right, it sounds like there's a level of
communication/support on (especially) the sunmanagers list that you'd
like to see happen somewhere with the *BSD's?  Have you not found this
yet on other various BSD tech lists?

--
I don't mean to give a RTFM-type response here Steve, (especially
because I know you know your stuff and know these resources all too

--or--
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL

OpenBSD Mailing Lists:
http://openbsd.org/mail.html

NetBSD Mailing Lists:

(sorry not all BSD's listed, but these BSD's definitely have masses of
folks running these BSD's in heavy production)

On Jan 24, 2005, at 10:38 AM, G. Rosamond wrote:

> I mean, is there a better place to ask for the cheapest cat 5e cable
> in midtown?

Gman-that statement is key.
To me, NYC*BUG is much more about connecting like-minded folks locally,
in, (but not restricted to) NYC.    I personally pay attention to a
boatload of other much more tech-centric mailing lists, and for me,
NYC*BUG is a breath of fresh air- because it can do trivial stuff-
which in the end, can be important stuff.

With regard to the more technical-heavy threads on the list, I have to
say, I've lurked on threads for topics here where I'd NEVER have time
to actually sign up to a list and get more involved in that
community/technology.  It's the shotgun learning I like here.

There was some discussion a while back from some published comments Rob
Pike made about Bell Labs, the Unix Room, where the coffee machine was-
and how that's where the really interesting work got done etc...  I
kindof taste that coffee on this list, and love the fact that it's a
list where I have a MUCH better chance of seeing a posters face
eventually... :)

Rockin' in with my .02?
.ike