[nycbug-talk] twisted python resources

Bob Ippolito bob
Sun Jan 30 15:38:51 EST 2005

On Jan 30, 2005, at 14:56, pete wright wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2005, at 9:24 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> On Jan 28, 2005, at 19:27, Pete Wright wrote:
>>
>>> so i'm looking to write a "simple" messaging client
>>> for my network in python.  it's more of an exercise to
>>> get me up to speed on programming in python, but will
>>> hopefully be usefull for us.  as i know there are several
>>> python devs here...what would you all suggest as good
>>> places to look for examples, doc and tutorials.
>>>
>>> i've started checking out using twisted (as it seems
>>> quite popular and well designed)...so maybe something
>>> relating to doing dev with twisted would be helpfull
>>
>> This is just an example of how much Twisted can do for you.  This is
>> a trivial chat server for Macromedia Flash's XMLSocket feature.
>> Basically what it does is it forwards messages that a client sends to
>> every connected user (including the sender).  It's great for testing.
>>  For scalability and security purposes, you will of course want to
>> use a SSL connection and NOT forward every message to every user, but
>> this is good enough to get started with.  The server has "no
>> protocol", in that it doesn't understand what's going on beyond using
>> '\x00' (the C string terminator, ASCII NULL, zero, whatever you want
>> to call it) as a delimiter.  In this scenario, it is up to the
>> clients to be "smart" enough to figure out what to do.  If you leave
>> the delimiter specification out, it will default to '\r\n' or '\n' (I
>> don't recall).. in which case you can telnet into it and it will
>> redirect lines to all connected clients.
>
> that's wicked bob thanks!  one thing i noticed on friday was that
> either twisted is not installed on our systems or it's not installed
> in an easily located place.  to get around this I was going to just
> install it in $HOME altho it looks like i may have to edit the
> install.py to make this happen ok....is there a big gotcha going this
> route.  if so i can do the dev. work on boxen off our production
> network.

Twisted doesn't need any extensions to run, so you can just put the
"twisted" package (the package containing __init__.py) in the same
place as your application (as a sibling of your script).  That's also
good because upgrading Twisted on your machine can't possibly break
your application.  On my server I have several versions of Twisted for
different projects depending on when they were written :)

-bob