[nycbug-talk] MBOX format vs. maildir, good pop3 server?

Bjorn Nelson o_sleep
Sat Jul 9 13:58:42 EDT 2005

Matt,

On Jul 9, 2005, at 1:42 PM, Matt Juszczak wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're running about 5,000 users on mbox format, and aren't ready to
> switch quite yet to mail dir (most users are POP3).
>
> Dovecot .99.x has been giving us some problems with locking, a
> bunch of our mail spools keep getting corrupted.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good POP3 and IMAP daemon?

We have been using courier-imap (pop3 included) for about 50,000
users, works fine except you have to set the client to use INBOX.
namespace.  We just started testing IMAP-Proxy which is built in as
well.  This allows you to have multiple imap/pop3 servers look like
just one from the user perspective.

-Bjorn