[nycbug-talk] OT: Spam box: same or different box?

Matt Juszczak matt
Thu Jul 14 14:40:07 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Wanted the opinion of a few experts after I got no responses elsewhere :)

We've got our new mail server up and running, integrated with LDAP.
Postfix is setup to do virtual domains only (there is no
local-host-names).

We want to setup amivisd-new with spamassassin and an anti virus filter.
We're wondering if we should set this up on the new mail server (which is
dual 3.06 ghz with 4 gb RAM running FreeBSD, so the load is low as
anything, even for our 6000+ accounts), or if we should create a new box,
that acts as a "gateway", with the same config we have now, expect that
filters the spam and then relays it  to the new mail server if need be.

Either way, I dont want to put a webserver setup on the new mail server,
so if we put the spam filtering on the new mail server I'd either do an
nfs mount to store the quarantine info (and then it would be accessed from
a different server) or some other solution.

Any ideas?  :)

-Matt