[nycbug-talk] network kvm

George Georgalis george
Thu Jul 14 17:19:27 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 04:43:41PM -0400, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> Isn't there somebody that can send kvm control signals over cat-5, eg
>> vga/kbd/mouse to black box to cat5 to kvm extension jack? something
>> else? I seem to remember kvm extenders but I don't know if this is their
>> application or what they are...
>>
>> ...Google to the rescue
>> http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/0dt23008a.html $20, there is a few
>> others to choose from, now I need 8 or 16 port kvm switch without ip :}
>Er, its 180$.

doh!

>> ...don't see more than four, unless they come with IP and extra $1500.
>> Any big KVM switches like this around?
>chiwanese 16-port KVM switches (traditional style, KVM cables, like
>belkin) are ~250$ or so (plus 5-10$ for each cable kit).

The last kvm I bought was windows only (doh!), yes this 4 port kvm used
no software but did something funny with ps2 IRQ (me didn't know there
was such a thing, maybe only in windows) and it would only work with M$
crap.

...so I'm looking for a rack kvm that works with Unix -- can't believe
I'm asking but I'd like to go with a component someone has tried already
-- okay so maybe should bite the bullet and expect the rest of them to
work with unix...

So here's my short list, typically no cables included, and we are going
for high but sub-carrier quality:

http://www.pcuniverse.com/product.asp?pid=2773975&m_id=13
ALTUSEN KH0116 - KVM / audio switch - 16 ports - 1 U - rack-mountable -
stackabl by ATEN Technology $543.21

http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?file=NEXTAG&i=F1DA116T
http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?i=F1DA116T
Belkin F1DA116T OmniView Pro2 16-Port KVM Switch w/On-Screen Display
PS/2 & USB (F1D-A116T) $409.00

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7trpk00a-16-port-kvm-switch-ps-2-rackmount-1u-w-osd-adapter-tripp-lite-switches-cables-b022-016-shopping.htm
Tripp Lite - 16-Port KVM Switch PS/2 Rackmount 1U w/OSD & Adapter $461.18

Anybody have experience with these?

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org