[nycbug-talk] latest blog

Dru dlavigne6
Sun Jul 17 20:04:24 EDT 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Dru wrote:
>> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7390
> Hmmmm...  this is interesting:
> ----
> I like Colin Percival's quote on whether or not to use this beta:
> "If I was deploying a new server today, I'd install FreeBSD 5.4. If I were 
> planning on installing a new server next month, I'd install FreeBSD 
> 6.0-BETA-whatever-number-we're-up-to-by-then."
> ----
> I hate those kinds of decisions.  I have a feeling that 5.x is the new 3.x if 
> that means anything to anyone. :)  That comment makes me wonder if the new 
> shell/blog/backup/whatever server should keep waiting for 6.0.  My gut says 
> yes...

The feeling I got from talking to Scott Long and Robert Watson is that 
going from 5.x to 6.x should be painless and that 6.x is basically 5.x but 
faster and better and with all that lock stuff fixed. Colin is only saying 
wait as we're still in beta, not even really to RC yet. Not to mention all 
the debugging that is on...

Something I didn't mention in the blog but that I've noticed since running 
my daily cvsup is that src is changing daily. Controllable on a 
workstation but could be a real PITA on a server.


More information about the talk mailing list