[nycbug-talk] latest blog

Scott Robbins scottro
Sun Jul 17 21:22:40 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 07:49:30PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Dru wrote:
>
> >http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7390
>
> Hmmmm...  this is interesting:
>
> ----
> I like Colin Percival's quote on whether or not to use this beta:
>
> "If I was deploying a new server today, I'd install FreeBSD 5.4. If I were
> planning on installing a new server next month, I'd install FreeBSD
> 6.0-BETA-whatever-number-we're-up-to-by-then."
> ----

:)  That comment makes me wonder if the new
> shell/blog/backup/whatever server should keep waiting for 6.0.  My gut says
> yes...

FWIW, on a test workstation, I'm finding noticeable (however, just
subjective) performance improvement under 6.x.  Even little things--the
keyboard seems faster, building things seems faster, everything seems
faster.  So far, up for a few days without problems.

However, I repeat, my impression is subjective--I'd like to try it on a
more heavily loaded server, but of course, my bosses might frown on
putting a BETA on them.  :)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

 Buffy: What do you want?
Angel: The same thing you do.
Buffy: Okay. What do I want?
Angel: To kill 'em. To kill 'em all.
Buffy: Sorry, that's incorrect. But, you do get this watch and a
year's supply of turtle wax. What I want is to be left alone.