[nycbug-talk] crontab woes

Kevin Reiter tux
Tue Jul 19 17:17:36 EDT 2005

max wrote:
> You can try removing references to specific files for writing in the script and instead make it simply echo and then add  "> /filename 2>&1" at the end of the crontab line

(snipped original post)

I added the "2>&1" at the end of the crontab line, set the run time in
the crontab entry for 2 minutes later, waited, and it still didn't run.
  I ran the script manually (doing ./myscript.sh) and it worked
perfectly.  For some reason cron isn't running the script at all, but it
runs the system crons just fine.

I even tried creating a simple script to echo the date to a file and set
cron to run it every 5 minutes, waited an hour, and nothing (last
night).  Again, running it manually works fine.

Always in the past I've just installed a cron to run a script, and it
works.  I haven't done anything differently for this, and nothing's been
installed or changed on the box (ncftp3 was installed at buildtime)
since it was built.  This is the first cron job I've created, so maybe
cron was borked from the start?  But that wouldn't explain why it does
all the system cron jobs (weekly, monthly, etc.) with no problem.

Now, if I only had a bit more hair to pull out...