[nycbug-talk] crontab woes

Michael Shalayeff mickey
Tue Jul 19 16:58:05 EDT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Kevin Reiter:
> max wrote:
> > You can try removing references to specific files for writing in the script and instead make it simply echo and then add  "> /filename 2>&1" at the end of the crontab line
> >
> (snipped original post)
>
> I added the "2>&1" at the end of the crontab line, set the run time in
> the crontab entry for 2 minutes later, waited, and it still didn't run.
>   I ran the script manually (doing ./myscript.sh) and it worked
> perfectly.  For some reason cron isn't running the script at all, but it
> runs the system crons just fine.
>
> I even tried creating a simple script to echo the date to a file and set
> cron to run it every 5 minutes, waited an hour, and nothing (last
> night).  Again, running it manually works fine.
>
> Always in the past I've just installed a cron to run a script, and it
> works.  I haven't done anything differently for this, and nothing's been
> installed or changed on the box (ncftp3 was installed at buildtime)
> since it was built.  This is the first cron job I've created, so maybe
> cron was borked from the start?  But that wouldn't explain why it does
> all the system cron jobs (weekly, monthly, etc.) with no problem.
>
> Now, if I only had a bit more hair to pull out...

there are very simple things to try:
LOOK IN THE DAMN LOG FILE (:

also it's important to remember that cron might be reloading
crontab every five minutes so setting 2min later would not work.

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)