[nycbug-talk] Dual boot IBM thinkpad T40?

Okan Demirmen okan
Fri Jul 22 18:28:01 EDT 2005

On Fri 2005.07.22 at 16:17 -0400, Joshua S. Freeman wrote:
> I recently acquired a spanking brand new T40.  It has XP Pro preinstalled.
> I'm seriously considering setting it up either as a dual boot XP Pro/FreeBSD
> laptop or simply FreeBSD...
>
> I've never attempted either one of these tasks before.  Any advice,
> recommendations, etc. from this crowd?

whatever you do, if you want hibernation, save space at the *beginning*
of your disk, ram+video ram+a few more bytes. this is mine on OpenBSD:

        Starting       Ending       LBA Info:
#: id    C   H  S -    C   H  S [       start:      size   ]
 0: 16    0   1  1 -  270 216 55 [          63:     4096000 ] OS/2 hidden

(yes a little big, but i have *a lot* of ram)

use tphdisk after creating/formating the slice to create the hibernate
file...i'm sure there are instructions out there somewhere..