[nycbug-talk] installing cat5 cabling

jonathan vanasco jvanasco
Fri Jul 22 22:22:53 EDT 2005

I always use pricewatch.com to find that sort of stuff

i wired my office mostly with stuff from http://surpluscomputers.com/
i think they mostly have stuff from silicon valley overstocks ,
deadstocks and failures

i used cat5e, as cat6 is make believe, and cat5e runs gigabit well

i used solid, not  braided, as i heard thats a better connection, and
spidered out  drop points to hubs throughout the office

at the hubs I used braided to connect to different machines

it works well, but its a pain in the ass to lay cable.  i had to run
it on ceiling trays.
its easy work, but its time consuming.