[nycbug-talk] Multiple Apache Instances?

pete wright nomadlogic
Mon Jul 25 15:36:01 EDT 2005

On 7/25/05, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On Jul 25, 2005, at 2:30 PM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
>
> > Has anyone here configured multiple apache instances in freebsd
> > using ports?
> >
> > I can do it from source on linux machine building 2 different trees
> > from source, like so:
> > /usr/local/apache2-plain
> > /usr/local/apache2-modperl
> >
> > but i was hoping on trying to stay in the ports system and using
> > the same binaries with different configuration files called at startup
> >
> > anyone have a pointer?
>
> Just my .02?, but, that feels like a fairly bad idea to me- in
> production systems at the least. I say that because I don't
> necessarily trust the many layers of people, tech. that get
> intermingled with multiple ports installs of like ports.
>
> However, cleanly separated Apache installs should work out to behave
> as expected.

Not sure if this is the correct way to achieve such a setup, but I believe
you could modify one of apache's MAKEFILE's to point to a different $PREFIX.
Then in your sartup scripts you would be able to start each instance of
apache independently. that's the quick, not putting any thought into it way
i'd try going.

-p

Rocket-
> .ike
>
> --
> Sidenote- why are you doing this? Just curious about context...

~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright
www.nycbug.org <http://www.nycbug.org>
NYC's *BSD User Group