[nycbug-talk] Multiple Apache Instances?

Jonathan Vanasco jvanasco
Mon Jul 25 16:03:51 EDT 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Just my .02?, but, that feels like a fairly bad idea to me- in
> production systems at the least.  I say that because I don't
> necessarily trust the many layers of people, tech. that get
> intermingled with multiple ports installs of like ports.
>
> However, cleanly separated Apache installs should work out to behave
> as expected.

Well, its my server and there is/will always be just me on it, so i'm
not worried
This also isn't for a 'security' minded problem ( i know a lot of
people like to try and make each user run scripts under their own uid )

This is for performance, and actually an often used approach for
production systems

Vanilla apache will sit on port 80 as a frontend proxy and static
content handler
Dynamic apache(s) will sit on other ports and handle dynamic content

in my situation, the performance gains are in 2 areas:
a- memory --
	modperl enabled apache is trimmed down to only the apache/perl
elements needed
b- performance --
	dynamic generated content is /almost/ instantly transferred to the
vanilla proxy, freeing up the seconds wasted by a slow connection or
disconnect

There's some info here that is a better description than me:
	http://modperlbook.com/html/ch12_13.html
	http://modperlbook.com/html/ch12_03.html