[nycbug-talk] Random Box Reboots

Hans Zaunere lists
Wed Jul 27 12:43:59 EDT 2005

Here's a problem that I can't figure out...

A server suddenly reboots, without any type of warning, randomly, roughly every few months.

4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Tue Jun 14 00:11:55 EDT 2005  :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

The servers hosts a number of jails, on vinum volumes.  Everything works normally, then suddenly the system will reboot.  After fsync the vinum volumes and remounting the jails, everything hums along for another couple of months.  I can't find anything in messages - just the startup message after the system reboots.

I'm stuck on what could be causing this and how to troubleshoot it; the box has only mild load.  Any thoughts appreciated.