[nycbug-talk] Random Box Reboots

Charles Sprickman spork
Wed Jul 27 12:48:34 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Hans Zaunere wrote:

> I'm stuck on what could be causing this and how to troubleshoot it; the
> box has only mild load.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Just in case, I'd enable coredumps, maybe you'll get "lucky" and have
something to look at:

dumpdev="/dev/ad0s1b" in rc.conf (adjust to your swap partition)

Also make sure you've built a kernel with debug symbols:

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g        in kernel config

Lastly, for problematic hosts in the past I've put together a quick shell
script that runs a whole mess of stuff; a full ps, vmstat, netstat, etc.
and writes it to a logfile.  I call it out of cron every five minutes.
That way if something does happen and there's no coredump I can see if
anything odd was happening before the crash.

Charles