[nycbug-talk] Random Box Reboots

pete wright nomadlogic
Wed Jul 27 13:31:16 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Hans Zaunere <lists at zaunere.com> wrote:

> Here's a problem that I can't figure out...
>
> A server suddenly reboots, without any type of warning, randomly, roughly
> every few months.
>
> 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Tue Jun 14 00:11:55 EDT 2005
> :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>
> The servers hosts a number of jails, on vinum volumes. Everything works
> normally, then suddenly the system will reboot. After fsync the vinum
> volumes and remounting the jails, everything hums along for another couple
> of months. I can't find anything in messages - just the startup message
> after the system reboots.
>
> I'm stuck on what could be causing this and how to troubleshoot it; the
> box has only mild load. Any thoughts appreciated.

Running GENERIC eh, not sure if a watchdog timer build in 4.x GENERIC
kernels. If so, it may be power cycling the machine due to hardware issue.
I'd also check the BIOS to see if there is something in there that may
trigger a reboot (CPU too hot etc.). Gotta love shooting in the dark ;p

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright