[nycbug-talk] Dual boot IBM thinkpad T40?

Okan Demirmen okan
Wed Jul 27 14:34:41 EDT 2005

On Wed 2005.07.27 at 13:40 -0400, Joshua S. Freeman wrote:
> Hi Bruno, Okan, et al...
>
> So, here's the plan.
>
> I'm going to use our campus/corporate licensed XP Pro install media to
> format the drive, make 2 partitions and install XP Pro with our key on
> the first partition.. (plus all the other stuff we install as a base
> like spybot, Norton Corp. Anti-Virus, etc...).
>
> Then I'll install FreeBSD on the other partition.
>
> I'm going to blow away IBM's recovery stuff because I've already been
> told that if I set this box up as a dual boot and go to use the IBM
> recovery stuff later it'll just get messed up anyway..
>
> But.. is that correct?  or.. is there still an argument for leaving the
> IBM recovery partition (which is the second partition) intact?

bruno is right about his comment to my advice.

if you want to hibernate in non-windows, you need a partition basically
the size of your ram at the beginning of your disk (type 16 - os/2 - see
my previous mail for my snippet of that). it seems, for windows, it
hibernates on a file inside the windows partition. if you don't care
about hibernation in non-windows, then 2 partitions - otherwise, 3.

oh, and scratch the ibm recovery partition...nothing to do with
hibernation after all.

okan