[nycbug-talk] Soekris OpenVPN and Firewall

George Georgalis george
Thu Jun 2 12:30:45 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 01:49:18AM -0400, Fred Noz wrote:
>George,
>
>Remember the NYCBUG talk about installing OpenBSD on a Soekris
>about a year ago?  The presenter was using a 512 MB compact flash
>card.  He said he had to rip out a lot to get OpenBSD to fit
>on the 512 MB card.  256MB might be pushing it a little!

Humm, was that Pete? I wonder what he was doing... looking at
du -sh /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/include /usr/sbin/ /etc /usr/lib /kernel /modules /boot

I get about 170Mb before any stripping. To that add OpenVPN and any
dependencies, a custom smaller kernel/modules and I'm thinking 256 would
be easy, and 128 might be doable with not too much effort.

Or maybe I'm missing something, is OpenBSD much bigger?

# du -sh /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/include /usr/sbin/ /etc /usr/lib /kernel /modules /boot
4.4M    /bin
 13M    /sbin
 16M    /usr/bin
 13M    /usr/include
 12M    /usr/sbin/
1.3M    /etc
 36M    /usr/lib
 21M    /kernel
 40M    /modules
737K    /boot

>Throw /tmp and /var/run into an mfs partition.

okay.

>I have not tried Soekris myself yet.

I just joined their lists (talk/announce), will lurk over there a bit.

>Are you going to use a crypto accelerator card?

I hadn't considered it. But maybe it would be a good idea, this won't be
heavily used, but 10 or 30Mb transfers won't be uncommon either, I just
don't have any idea at which point it becomes a bottle neck and what
happens during overload.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org