[nycbug-talk] Getting started in Consulting

pete wright nomadlogic
Fri Jun 3 19:10:29 EDT 2005

On 6/3/05, Michael Shalayeff <mickey at lucifier.net> wrote:
> Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from swygue:
> [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > I would like some guidance and tips from guys who are consultants in New
> > York City. I would like to start marketing my self, but I don't have a clue
> > on how to start getting clients of my own. So for questions for the
> > veterans.
> >
> > How did you first get started ?
> > How did you get your first client ?
> > Where do you look for clients ?
> > How do you sell FreeBSD to clients ?
>
> first you need to get a thong.
> then you ...
>
> olrite kidding. (;

I knew there was a reason my clients where not calling me back.  Must
have been the back hair ;p

> i think word of a mouth is still the best client mining.
> then they usually do not care what os they run.
> if they do care then they just do not know there is smth
> else except for what they want.

as a freelancer or consultant the only thing you really have is your
reputation.  i've gotten most jobs via word of mouth contacts, which
frankly is great.  i guess the hard part is getting the first contact.
 to do that i usually quit my full time job then offer my services as
a freelancer :)

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~