[nycbug-talk] Getting started in Consulting

Josh McCormack joshmccormack
Thu Jun 9 13:24:20 EDT 2005

I was out of work for a while after September 11th. Since then I've
worked like crazy to build my network and diversify my work. Right now I
  do programming & technical project management, am starting a couple of
things myself, am writing a book and am about to take a class & test so
I work as a real estate broker. Being out of work really stinks. I'm
sorry you're going through it.

For taxes, record expenses and keep them organized. Find a decent
accountant. They're worth every cent. If your health insurance expense
is large enough you can deduct it. You can  buy most plans by yourself.
It's expensive. For a family we're talking like $1500/mnth.

Networking and pitching - look around you, stores you frequent, people
you know. Develop a brief summary of what you do. Don't worry about
pigeon holing yourself, just give people something to work off of. Get
used to saying it all the time so people start associating you with your
field.

Josh