[nycbug-talk] MSNBC on the decline of technology jobs

Okan Demirmen okan
Mon Jun 20 14:02:54 EDT 2005

On Mon 2005.06.20 at 13:09 -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
> Interesting read. . .
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8280452/
>
> I myself have been through the glares of the pre-dot com age from upper
> management ("ew, one of *those* weirdos"), through the 'glories' of the
> late 1990's, to the mixed picture of today, which I think is overall
> better a better picture for technology people than many in the press are
> portraying.

well, the truth is that the demand for *quality* is going down. if the
technology comes from overseas or not, what matters is the bottom line,
and as long as there is *an impression" that things are working well,
then that is all the buisness cares about. sad.

yes, it is a sad state of affairs when only c++ and java seem to be the
only requirements. heck, even then, when was the last time you saw
*quality* code written in those languages???

> Do others think there is longeivity in technology?  Is anyone taking on
> of those $99 bartender training courses to prepare for the worst?
> (although certainly automation and outsourcing have put bartenders in
> their sights. . .)

as long as technology breaks, and it does in massive ways today, we will
all have jobs. we have many large entities to thank for that.

okan