[nycbug-talk] MSNBC on the decline of technology jobs

Francisco Reyes lists
Wed Jun 22 13:51:37 EDT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Isaac Levy wrote:

> With all due respect, the last years in NYC have been totally excruciating
> for a lot of talented people

Totally agree.
The other day was talking to a recruiter and he basically told me he had
many more resumes than he had job. He basically was asking me if I know of
anyone that needed workers. :-(

> Subjectively, what about the young people who are trying to get more
> experience with UNIX/tech?  Who is to say who is and is not supposed to 'be
> in this industry in the first place'?

In the job market I see two broad category of tech people. Those who
want to work on what they think is "good technology"/"best of breed" and
those that will learn what they believe is most markeatable. The sad thing
about the second category is that they may likely be better at keeping
jobs, even though they they are not technically the best people.

Although somewhat understandable most companies hire very narrowly. What
do we need NOW.. never mind if this person will be able to adapt to
changes in technology.. or if this person is actually a well rounded
technical person.. we use ABC.. he/she knows ABC... let's hire him/her.