[nycbug-talk] actual BSD question: fbsd 5.4 on ultra10

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz
Thu Jun 23 10:09:54 EDT 2005

Comrades:

I'm sorry if this is wholly obvious, but I'm having a bit of difficulty
here with my old U10.

I've got the 5.4 sparc64 ISOs downloaded...I've burned 'em already,
(yes, checked the MD5 on the downloaded ISO files) and I'm getting no
loving when I try to "bood cdrom" from the PROM prompt.

I get
> ok boot cdrom
> Resetting ...
>

> Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 440MHz), No Keyboard
> OpenBoot 3.19, 768 MB (50 ns) memory installed, Serial #xxxxxxxx.
> Ethernet address 8:0:20:xx:xx:xx, Host ID: 80zzzzzzz.
>

> Rebooting with command: boot cdrom
> Boot device: /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1,1/ide at 3/cdrom at 2,0:f  File and args:
> Evaluating: boot cdrom
>
> Can't open boot device

odd that...maybe I need something else...maybe it's not the right device

> ok boot cd
> Boot device: /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1,1/ide at 3/cdrom at 0,0  File and args:
> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package
>
> Can't open boot device

well, that's a bit more helpful (I entered cd as a devalias for some
other IDE device in the box, figuring that maybe the original devalias
might have been screwy.) since at least it's complaining about SOMETHING.

The worst part is...I've got FBSD 5.1 on this box but I can't remember
the root password :-( I could have just done an in-place upgrade...

Thanks one and all for assistance. I'll summarize to the list, if anyone
cares.

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman  jbaltz at 3phasecomputing.com  +1 718 763 7405
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.