[nycbug-talk] Anyone using Pentium-D?

Charles Sprickman spork
Tue Jun 28 16:23:16 EDT 2005

Hey all,

I'm really bad at keeping up on all the processor news out there.  It took
Apple's x86 announcement for me to find out about Intel's dual-core chips
(pentium-d).  Other than the glossies on the intel site, has anyone here
toyed with these things?

I've been shopping for some low-end dual processor stuff (used) in the
neighborhood of dual PIII-1GHz.  Is the D based on P4 or PIII?  Is it a
lemon, a stopgap, or a cost-efficient way to get dual processors without
going to Xeons?

Any input is appreciated, I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest
(or lamest).

Thanks,

Charles

___