[nycbug-talk] need help asap, will pay, ms vpn client

Jonathan jonathan
Tue Mar 1 21:02:59 EST 2005

George Georgalis wrote:

>I'm past urgency stage, an external audit is coming up and I must finish
>documentation in addition to other technical issues.
>
>A while back this situation was discussed here. But connecting to the
>linksys rv042 vpn by ipsec has been elusive. Everybody consulted says it
>should work and/or be easy.

I would guess that OpenVPN is out (openvpn.net) due to the fact you
already have an ipsec VPN router?  I've set up openvpn 2.0 between
windows and FreeBSD in a TLS client-server mode a couple of times now
and could probably help with any stumbling blocks as far as configuring
it goes.  It's also very reliable in my experience, my connection went
down for ~8 hours one day and within 5 minutes after the connection came
back (when I got around to checking it) the VPN was back up.  There is
not an official port of 2.0 yet for FreeBSD but I do have a -devel local
port I got from the current OpenVPN port maintainer.  If you do the TLS
certs, once they are generated, it is very easy to use.  You just point
OpenVPN at a config file which has the location of the keys in it and
the server address and off it goes.