[nycbug-talk] Seeking tape backup unit

Jim Brown jpb
Tue Mar 1 22:22:10 EST 2005

* Jerry B. Altzman <jbaltz at omnipod.com> [2005-03-01 11:22]:
> On 2/28/2005 10:08 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> >>How much do you need to put on a tape daily?  4GB? 10GB?  35GB?
> >10GB min
>
> If 10GB is your MINIMUM daily backup, you should also look at
> throughput. 10GB can take a lo-o-o-o-ng time. Longer than you think.
>
> For what it's worth, you can get a stack of 20GB IDE drives for cheaper
> than the cost of most tapes, get one of them-there outboard FireWire
> and/or USB2 boxes, and do a disk to disk backup.
>
> >Jim B.

I saw something at CompUSA called a "Rev Drive"- basically a
type of external cartridge drive that had a real disk as the
cartridge.  USB 2.0 - supposed to be fast.  Large capacity.

Anyone ever use one of these?  Does it look like a USB drive
to BSD?  That might work very well for me.

Best Regards,
Jim B.