[nycbug-talk] mailing list protocol

George Georgalis george
Wed Mar 9 11:21:24 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:02:03AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
>On 9 Mar 2005 at 10:34, G. Rosamond wrote:
>
>> MW has put up a short how-to on the site about mailing list protocol.
>>
>> Anyone have any comments?  I think he did a good job.

>I disagree with option 7. Replying to both the person and the list is
>what should be done.  It's standard and expected procedure on all the
>FreeBSD lists I use.

historical reasons are only oldest, not always best.

it is unnecessarly redundant, and you can replicate the behavior localy:

:0 c
* ^References:.*(one|or|more|of|your|hostnames)
* !^TO_your at addresses
mbox

I'm in favior of "reply-to: list" and "reply-to: list, user at address.com"
if the poster provided a reply-to address.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org