[nycbug-talk] a project? ChipSetD

Jim Brown jpb
Thu Mar 10 16:29:56 EST 2005

* G. Rosamond <george at sddi.net> [2005-03-10 16:02]:

> On Mar 10, 2005, at 3:57 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
>
> >* G. Rosamond <george at sddi.net> [2005-03-10 14:46]:
> >>
> >[snip]
> >>What if we created something of an online grid which would list
> >>chipsets to actual retail hardware.  I know it sounds like an enormous
> >>project, but if we could at least start the process, for each of the
> >>BSDs, of course, and have a publicly contributed and NYC*BUG
> >>administered application, it could be a start.
> >
> >Sounds like a good project.
> >

> >[snip]
> >>
> >>We could start just by parsing out data from the dmesgd application to
> >>create a basis.  Then we put a call out to the community.  I don't
> >>know
> >
> >Does your dmesgd app already run in a database?  Should be easy
> >to extend if so.
> >

> Yes. . . it's on mysql.
>
> Why the offlist reply?

Slip 'o the pinky ...

Re the project-

What does your schema look like now?  Is it just one big text record
for each dmesg?

Sounds like all you need is

1. A suitable schema
2. A parsing routine to glean the existing info out of the current records
   in input into the new DBMS
3. A report generator to get data out in the format you listed earlier
4. Export and import of data from old DBMS to new

Estimates for experienced developer-
1. 2 days (probably 2 hours)
2. 3-5 days (probably 3 days)
3. 3-5 days (probably days)