[nycbug-talk] serial remote access hardware recommendations

Dave Steinberg dave-dated-1111445340.42c238
Mon Mar 14 17:49:20 EST 2005

>      There is a company that makes a pic card that you can put in a
> box and it allows you to ssh to the card then from there get a secure
> serial connection to the server.  Here's the link:
>
> http://www.realweasel.com/intro.html
>
> I too would be interested in hearing any other options, other than
> having two boxes connected via serial cable...

There are a whole bunch of different options, largely based on what's
available on eBay at a given moment:

- Grab a multiport serial card and a small box (1U or maybe a soekris),
and make yourself a little console server.  I've got a cyclades 16-port
setup that I'll be getting rid of soon if anyone's interested in
purchasing it.  Check your system's supported hardware docs and then do
a bunch of googling or browsing on newegg.  Run 'conserver' for fancy
features.

- I've had good success thus far with the small adapters from Lantronix
like this series:

http://www.lantronix.com/data-center-management/console-servers/scs100-
scs200-scs400.html

... you can find them on eBay from time to time (I got an scs-200 for
about $30 and its performed beautifully so far).

- The baytech units on ebay often come with serial access.  If you get
one that has the 4 power plugs and 4 serial ports, you can not only
access the console, but power cycle the unit in case of extreme
failure.  I've used a variety of these with great success.  I think I
have one of the Baytech DS-RPC-2 units if anyone's interested in that
too.

- Buy a full-fledged dedicated console server like one of the higher
end lantronix models, or one from a competing company.  I just got a
unit from Perle off ebay, so I can't comment on it yet, but it supports
the standard console-via-ssh stuff that you want, with about 100
different authentication methods that nobody will ever use (TACAS+?!).

HTH,
--
Dave Steinberg
http://www.geekisp.com/