[nycbug-talk] serial remote access hardware recommendations

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Mon Mar 14 17:40:01 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, pete wright wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:29:04 -0500 (EST), Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> > Any recommendations for serial remote access hardware for a FreeBSD
> > 5.2 box at a remote colo? They don't provide serial hardware and
> > charge a service call when we can't get in over the network...
a) colo in a less retarded place, hint hint

b) colo two servers, and connect serial from one into the other. This will
only help if your server has proper serial support in BIOS (as in, you can
control serial from BIOS)

c) colocate a KVM-IP switch. Those things are proper. Not cheap, but
proper.

-alex