[nycbug-talk] problems with email

pete wright nomadlogic
Mon Mar 14 20:21:48 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:13:44 -0500, Jonathan <jonathan at kc8onw.net> wrote:
> Okan Demirmen wrote:
> > On Mon 2005.03.14 at 12:00 -0800, pete wright wrote:
> >
> >>2) While I am in the process of dealing with broken email, I've done
> >>some research into using cyrus instead of courier as my imapd.  Seems
> >>like it should address some of the performace issues I've noticed
> >>recently.  I've not been able to find any info on google on migrating
> >>from Maildir/Courier to cyrus.  Is this a job for fetchmail?
> >

> > while this may not be an answer you are looking for, have you ever
> > considered dovecot for imap?
> >
> > okan
> >
> Does it handle huge email folders better than Courier (11,000+
> messages)?  If I have to check my mail through webmail it can take 2+
> minutes just to open the folder :P

Actually this is the reason i'm moving off courier, and going to
cyrus.  I found this link interesting:

 http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa03/tech/full_papers/elprin/elprin_html/

for an update, I've got my primary MX record pointed to my internal
server.  I was also able to flush the cache, and have the mail get
delivered locally (just by modifiying Postfix's main.cf to accept mail
intended for mail.nomadlogic.org which was the server it was backing
up.)  For now i'm going to continue to use courier until things stable
out.  Then i'll contemplate moving to cyrus.

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright