[nycbug-talk] problems with email

michael lists
Tue Mar 15 09:22:30 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:21:48 -0800
pete wright <nomadlogic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually this is the reason i'm moving off courier, and going to
> cyrus.  I found this link interesting:
>
>  http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa03/tech/full_papers/elprin/elprin_html/

Good article, Pete.  They lay out a pretty convincing argument for using
Cyrus with BerkeleyDB.

I will admit though,  I have never really felt a noticable problem with
my Courier services.  But, I tend to sort my mail and leave no need for
11000+ messages in the INBOX, so it is not a fair comparison.  I DO have
some VERY large archive folders, but I tell my user agent not to check
that folder everytime I check for new messages.  Like most things, it
runs great with a little planning.

One small thing I like about maildir is the ease of use outside of a
user agent. They are just files in a folder structure and this is a very
familiar model to me.  I can back up, move around, count, get sizes,
search, and such to my hearts content.  Also, they are just text files;
I can cat|grep them easily if need be.

just my 2 cents,
Michael

--