[nycbug-talk] Restricting OpenSSH by account/IP

Paul Dlug paul
Tue Mar 15 09:44:39 EST 2005

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to this, I've been searching on
and off for a while and can't seem to find anything..

The problem I have is that I have a host open to the outside for SSH
used by various remote employees and people working from home. This
same host has a number of accounts that users SSH into from their
desktops. Some of these accounts are shared between users (yes this is
bad!) so they have insecure passwords.

I would like to restrict the range of IP's that a specific account can
connect from. I can't seem to find a way to do this, PAM seems to only
give me a way to authorize a user to use SSH as a whole service, not by
the IP address.

Thanks,
Paul