[nycbug-talk] SDF

pete wright nomadlogic
Tue Mar 15 15:22:34 EST 2005

So, due to my recent computer woes I've had to get rid of my offsite
server.  Yet I'd still like to have a remote shell account somewhere.
I've often used M-Net (m-net.arbornet.org) as a backup free shell
account but have found this system to be very strained and a bit
chaotic.  I've also recently (in the past year or so) come to know of
SDF (www.freeshell.org).  After having some serious problems using
M-Net I made the switch over to SDF and gotta say they have a great
system.

It's all Alpha-NetBSD based and because they have been in existence
for so long the system feels very mature.  The setup scripts are
execellent, and despite the heavy load on the boxen it still seems
quite responsive.  If you have not done so yet, I'd check them out.  I
opted to pay a one time fee of $36 which gives me web hosting privs,
full ssh access, email and DynDNS capabilites.  They also have BBS
archives and a pretty great gopher system running to (ahh gopher I
hardly knew yee).  As time goes on I can pay a little more and get DNS
hosting and MySQL access (I think $10 or so).  For what they offer,
and the cost, I don't think of the $36 as a fee, but more of a
donation to a great service.

In any event, I'm quite stoked and think folks should check it out.
IMO this is probably the best public access Unix system I've ever
logged onto (including my various University accounts).

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright