[nycbug-talk] Fwd: RE: need help asap, will pay, ms vpn client

Bob Ippolito bob
Fri Mar 18 00:02:53 EST 2005

On Mar 17, 2005, at 22:57, Mikel King wrote:

> George Georgalis wrote:

>>> this may not be much help to your issue, but if are limiting your
>>> roaming clients to smb shares, why even use smb? win2k and above,
>>> osx, and any unix can do webdav. easy to setup on the samba server.
>>> and seemless to the client - looks like a smb share....and all on
>>> one port - 80 (and/or 443).
>>>

>> 443/htpasswd/mod_dav is on the gen two plan. I've never build apache2,
>> and I can expect some trial and error with both apache2 and mod_dav,
>> but I've got a set of other things that don't give me time in the day
>> to, well you know, and this is a no mistakes, regulated production
>> environment.
>>
>> Anybody want to demo mod_dav and/or write up a cheat sheet? I spent
>> :20 trying to get apache21 to build on DFLY but there is something
>> wrong with perl, so I've never had 2.1 up at all...
>>
> I've set up dav before, and from what I recall the docs on apache's
> site were pretty straight forward, but I do remember there were some
> missing elements, I just don't recall if it was to do with php or dav.
> I'll poll my notes and see if it merits a DN article, is that a good
> idea?

The only "gotcha" I've ever run into configuring mod_dav is that you
have to remember to add in a DAVLock parameter (I think that's what
it's called -- RTFM).

The other is that not all WebDAV clients are created equally.  Some
have weird issues (Mac OS X goes nuts if you WebDAV with resource forks
in my experience) and some don't support it over https.

-bob