[nycbug-talk] Free BSD marketing material

Dan Langille dan
Fri Mar 18 11:36:56 EST 2005

On 18 Mar 2005 at 11:24, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:17:41 -0500, Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> wrote:

> > > "If you use BSD you do not get into the above legal/licence problems"
> > > is not a benefit?
> >
> > It is not what you say, it is how you say it. You can achieve the
> > same thing without pointing out the problems of others.
>
> It is not a problem, it is a benefit, just ask them.  And I am firmly
> in the "its what you say" camp.

Ummm, whatever. I guess I need to be explicit here.

You started out by referring to non-GPL compliance as a marketing
material for FreeBSD.  I suggested the same goal could be achieved by
advocating the *benefits of BSD (e.g. you can do what you want with
the code without risk of license infringement) instead of saying
pointing out the problems of others (e.g. "look, if you use GPL
software, *THIS* could happen to you!").

I feel one appraoch is much more professional than the other.  You
decide which on you want to do and I'll leave you to it.

I think everyone nearly everyone understood my original point; I now
withdraw from this thread.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/