[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Adaptec AAC raid support

Jesse Callaway jesse
Mon Mar 21 15:04:29 EST 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 01:49 pm, G. Rosamond says:
> On Mar 21, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:
> > Wordup All,
> >
> > On Mar 18, 2005, at 6:56 PM, G. Rosamond wrote:
> >> This is a thread well worth following. . .
> >
> > [snip OpenBSD Adapted RAID saga]
> >
> > For those of you who didn't follow this thread, OpenBSD 3.7 will ship
> > without Adaptec RAID support, as made slashdot yesterday:

http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/05/03/20/1944233.shtml?tid=137&tid=198&tid=190&tid=172&tid=7
 (link was rejoined)

I also thought, as I kind of elided to in the bar at some point, that one of
the FreeBSD devs was actually employed by Adaptec and thus had access to
stuff that the outside world doesn't. This also makes it hairy.

I think the among problems getting the low-level docs out are:

1. They have to filter some of the stuff which might show how patented and
fully-closed stuff was built.

2. They know that the open source community is awesome at finding bugs. They
don't want to end up getting negative press. Without people peering into the
workings of the card (or the interface to the card) a company can carefully
market only the features. This is bad news for us, but is entirely up to the
paranoid stockholder to figure out how to deal with in the long run. My
opinion is that a lot of business will be lost if one continues to be so
crass when it comes to emailing the damn pdf to the driver developers. Of
course they are not considering that 3rd parties may even make their WHQL
compliant (minus the application fee) drivers for free.

ok, this is not really a numbered list anymore, but I don't think it's worth
reformatting...

The big problem is that it takes a good deal of motivation for someone to get
the docs out in a way which is friendly to their bosses.

-jesse