[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Adaptec AAC raid support

Isaac Levy ike
Mon Mar 21 15:18:15 EST 2005

Hi Bjorn, All,

On Mar 21, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Bjorn Nelson wrote:

> .Ike,
>
> On Mar 21, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:
>> The FreeBSD support for Adaptec stuff is in the end, not so exiting.
>> The aac driver feels solid, (I have 2 sata cards in FreeBSD
>> production now), but the mgmt. utils are a bit wonkie- it would be
>> REALLY GREAT imo to have drivers available which are solidly written
>> from the ground up, to work with various built-in disk utilities
>> (i.e. atacontrol vs. the aaccli wonkie stuff I'm using now...)-
>
> Why do you consider the aaccli utility wonkie?
>
> -Bjorn

Well, it's not that it's altogether bad, but I personally prefer very
minimal/clean systems on a server, so the following aspects of aaccli
are simply things I'd love to do away with:

- One has to install aaccli separately (from ports, ok, not rocket
science, but it's one more thing...)
- No manual entry for aaccli
- The aaccli utility itself, in interactive mode, feels like an AppleII
cli app in it's design (not even curses based, apps with no forgiveness
to backspace, etc..., bug me)
   - since it's rare that I use this utility interactively, takes me a
sec to remember how to use it when I do...
+ The aaccli utility is simply scriptable, by feeding it
return-deliniated textual commands, which is what I've done for
common/checkup tasks (I wrapped the text in shell scripts).  Trivial
enough, but again, just one more thing to do...
- It took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to use aaccli in the
first place, reading through the help and trial-error with commands in
interactive mode.

--
All of that, I compare that to the simplicity of the builtin
atacontrol(8) utility on FreeBSD:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?
query=atacontrol&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.11-
stable&format=html
-or-
http://tinyurl.com/5rx43

It behaves just like any other unix utility, so to me, it's more
attractive.

I'd just personally rather use atacontrol than aaccli- but aaccli and
the Adaptec SATA cards I've got are working just great, no serious
complaints, running solid in some of my production boxen.

My .02? and whining- but you asked for it ;)  (why do you ask btw?)

Rocket-
.ike