[nycbug-talk] Monitoring > 1000 devices

steverieger steve
Wed Mar 23 11:34:24 EST 2005

Hi all,

Am going to start a nice discussion here about monitoring, and would like
your opinions.

Having used nagios, zabbix, cricket, mrtg (not a true monitoring package),
and a few others to keep an eye on all my devices around the world. The
devices are made up of the following types.
500 cisco
    need to monitor about 20 different things on each device
300 servers
    need to monitor about 40 different things on each device, including
apache, mysql, network, uptime, checksum of /usr/local/sbin/sshd, etc.....
100 printers
    need to monitor about 10 different things, purely via snmp
10 windows servers
    need to monitor about 15 things, mostly via snmp, but an agent would be
ok.

    nagios which comes to mind is great but a bit of a pain to set up for
such a large env. Adding a whole new group of servers or devices might take
a few days. Zabbix is awesome, it can monitor everything either via agent or
snmp, and is very extensible. But zabbix has some issues on the recovery
side when monitoring via snmp. Mrtg does what it is supposed to, and I get
my sexy graphs. But I get no notification if something is amiss.

    so do any of you know if there is a tool out there that can run an auto
discovery, something like netdisco, and also monitors according to the
parameters I set.