[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD jail docs/faqs (5.x)

Charles Sprickman spork
Wed Mar 23 21:02:10 EST 2005

Hi all,

I finally got the last of the parts in for a new shell server, and one thing
that's really integral to my planning of how we're going to divvy things up on
that box is me getting up to speed on jails under FreeBSD.

In general, my Google skills have just been going downhill, and it really
shows in this case.  I'm simply trying to find something that's a higher
level overview of things, and something that goes into real-world
experiences more than the manpages do.  And of course, something that is
specific to 5.x - I found a good amount of stuff on 4.x.  So if you've got
any favorite HOWTOs, FAQs, etc. forward them on.  If I get a good
collection, perhaps I could submit a doc to the nycbug site that combines
the best information from all of them.

You may be wondering "why jails on a shell server?" and that's surely a good
question.   I've got big plans for this box.  We're putting a huge amount of
storage on it and launching a number of new services.  It will provide shell
access for customers that want that sort of thing, it will house member web
pages, offer a simple to setup blog solution, and possibly offer backup
services via AFP (we have many Mac customers) and Samba.  Ideally I'd like to
have each major service in a jail.  I know it can be done without jails, and I
know that jails are not perfect security, but I want to run with the "onion
security" paradigm:  security is best when you have many layers, and jails
would be one of those layers.  My biggest concern is sharing filesystems across
jails.  There was recently some talk about "mount_union" and "nullfs" on
-hackers that kind of indicated there's some issues there.  If anyone has some
docs that outline what works and what doesn't as far as sharing filesystems
safely and efficiently across jails, that's one of my major stumbling blocks.

Thanks,

Charles

___
Charles Sprickman