[nycbug-talk] [OT] Office Space

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Tue Mar 29 20:00:53 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Mikel King wrote:

> Well this is generally a tough one, because for your $:sqr ft ratio it
> isn't going to happen anywhere in Manhattan, I mean not for the above
> mentioned amenities. You'd be better off dropping your rackable gear
> into a nice colo like 111 eighth ave, where you'll have you genset
> backup, huge amounts of bandwidth from every major and several minor
> carriers and oodles of ac too boot. Then you'll be able to rent yourself
> a nice dirt cheap flat somewhere else that suits your fancy.
I wouldn't be so pessimistic. I say, "tough but possible". It all depends
on details. If this request was about a year ago, we could've shared the
office space/datacenter at 55 Broad (I have 5000 sqft that I'm currently
subletting to a proprietary trading firm at mid-teens per sqft -
unfortunately, I couldn't find any tenant back then).

downtown rents have come down. at my building (55 broad), you can get raw
space for low 20s per/sqft, and the building is fairly well lit as far as
carriers go. You won't get the genset though.

-alex