[nycbug-talk] [OT] Office Space

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Tue Mar 29 20:33:10 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> > *high* amount of money to bring in power. This is in pretty much every
> > building - again, thank the electricians unions and professional
> > engineers. If you are talking about a large new lease, you may extract
> > some money as concessions from landlord.
>
> Yeah, also in the past most places I've worked have been smaller
> buildings where the union rules are a little loose.  But I imagine that
> in a highrise, everything is "by the book" and you pay out the nose.
> Any idea how cross-connects between tenants are handled in a larger
> building?  Do they charge any recurring fees as a general rule once the
> fiber is installed?
Smaller buildings - yes, you might get around with 'looser' rules, but
carrier selection is likely to be non-existant. There are companies like
Intellispace and EurekaGGN who have a number of small crappy buildings
lit, but they charge relative fortune. They aren't interested in doing
transport either, only retail transit.

Also, consider getting Cogent's lit building list. Cogent has excellent
network, don't let anyone tell you otherwise and certainly good value for
the price.

Yes, large buildings = by the book. I can't speak for every building, but
expect to pay ~100$ MRC plus 1000-2000$ NRC for copper crossconnect inside
the building (this is how much I'm paying to connect to my customers in 55
Broad).

> > Generally, I think 25$/sqft in a nice "lit" building is tough.
> > Definitely forget about genset though.
>
> They can probably go a little higher if they are willing to shrink a
> little bit.  The space they are in now is a loft-like thing that is
> really too big for 10 people.
Tricky. This is too small to have much negotiating room.

In 55 broad, you can get raw (unbuilt) office space for low 20s, and then
get some transit from pilosoft. and possibly colocate the mission-critical
stuff with us, that'd be backed up by our generator :)