[nycbug-talk] Sun, Microsoft Red Hat and Open Source

Matthew Terenzio matt
Wed Mar 30 15:49:51 EST 2005

On Mar 30, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> he did open source Solaris and Staroffice/Openoffice is that not good
> enough even if he never opensources java?

I'm not arguing for or against Sun or Opening Java up, but one concern
is fragmentation.
Gosling has talked about it before.
Things can be open, but you don't want to have to think, "Will this
Perl script work the same on Darwin as it does on Red Hat?"
And because of it's semi-openness in the past, it is a concern that
complete Java openess could lead to one saying, " This works on on IBM
Java on Linux."
Many of you know better than I how different flavors of the Java API
have application server vendors leading their clients down that path of
lockdown

I totally will not disagree if someone responds and says, "That is open
source and that is good."

Matt