[nycbug-talk] Sun, Microsoft Red Hat and Open Source

pete wright nomadlogic
Wed Mar 30 17:16:49 EST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:44:14 -0500, Marc Spitzer <mspitzer at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'd check out netcraft and just to see how many websites run some
> > variant of BSD which from my recent experience seems like a key market
> > for Sun/Java.  At my current employer we use *a lot* of jsp's and
> > such, unfortunately for me using BSD in this situation would be a no
> > go from the start.
>
> That is a somewhat misleading number.  The reason I feel this way is
> that, from my limited exp, once you say Java/servlets/EJB etc the
> hosting providers say you have money to spend and package accordingly,
> even for the low end.  You do not get the cheap mass market LAMP/BAMP
> packages.  you get the "low end" dedicated server packages.  Or CoLo
> packages.  After all if you are doing java you have a "budget" and we
> want our chunk.

ok I can see that, sure.  But still, one could deduce from the hosting
numbers that BSD is a great platform to host and serve web pages/apps
from (but I'm sure we all feel that way ;)

(big 'ol snip 'cause I think we are on the same wave length here)

on a side note, are there any Java dev's on the list?  If so, what are
your feelings on this.  From my perspective I'd love to see more
support open support for Java/BSD, coming from an administrative
angle.  Does it matter to you all?

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~