[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD upgrade

michael lists
Thu May 5 10:08:31 EDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:40:11 -0400
Jay Savage <daggerquill at gmail.com> wrote:

> Micheal,
>
> That depends on how your server is configured.  My gut reaction is to
> say skip 3.6 completely and install 3.7 when it becomes available for
> download on the 19th.
This is actually in preparation for 3.7.  I was going by the very first
sentence on the aformentioned web page, "Note: Upgrades are only
supported from release to release, it is recommended that you NOT skip
releases."

> If you really want to get moving on it, order a
> CD--they're already shipping--and mount it from somewhere else.
I have already pre-ordered!

> There's no clean upgrade path from 3.6 to 3.7,
whoa.. that was the first I heard of that.  Is that what you infer from
the 37 upgrade page?   http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade37.html

"Upgrading is a convenient way to bring your OpenBSD system up to the
most recent version. However, the results are not intended to precisely
match the results of a wipe-and-reload installation. Old library files
in particular are not removed in the upgrade process, as they may be
required by older applications that may or may not be upgraded at this
time. If you REALLY wish to get rid of all these old files, you would
probably be better off reinstalling from scratch. "

I may take that last sentence to heart.  Installing OpenBSD has always
been really easy.  It is recreating the existing environment that is
consuming.  Good thing I took notes.

Thanks for the reply.
Michael

--