[nycbug-talk] Re: sparc64 disk question

Jed Davis jdev
Fri May 6 21:22:11 EDT 2005

In article <200505062109.j46L9eoY028944 at lucifier.net>,
Michael Shalayeff  <mickey at lucifier.net> wrote:
> Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from pete wright:
> > hey all,
> >      So I have an IDE disk that has a UFS partition on it that was
> > created on a sparc64/netbsd box.  I know that this is probably not
> > possible, but I'd like to try to mount it on an x86/freebsd 5.x box.
> > I can see the disk iin my dmesg and in /dev, but none of the slices
> > are showing up.  Is it wishfull thinking that I may be able to get
> > this disk recognized on a 32bit box.  Me thinks not for the obvious
> > reasons...still worth a shot eh?
>
> disklabel is of a different format (sun disklabel)
> ufs is of different endianess

The latter problem can, if FreeBSD is anything like NetBSD here, be
fixed by setting the FFS_EI option in the kernel config; this would be
documented in options(4).  As far as the former, isn't there a loadable
GEOM module for sun disklabels?

--
(let ((C call-with-current-continuation)) (apply (lambda (x y) (x y)) (map
((lambda (r) ((C C) (lambda (s) (r (lambda l (apply (s s) l))))))  (lambda