[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD upgrade

Jay Savage daggerquill
Mon May 9 11:19:07 EDT 2005

On 5/5/05, michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:40:11 -0400
> Jay Savage <daggerquill at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Micheal,
> >
> > That depends on how your server is configured.  My gut reaction is to
> > say skip 3.6 completely and install 3.7 when it becomes available for
> > download on the 19th.
> This is actually in preparation for 3.7.  I was going by the very first
> sentence on the aformentioned web page, "Note: Upgrades are only
> supported from release to release, it is recommended that you NOT skip
> releases."
>
> > If you really want to get moving on it, order a
> > CD--they're already shipping--and mount it from somewhere else.
> I have already pre-ordered!
>
> > There's no clean upgrade path from 3.6 to 3.7,
> whoa.. that was the first I heard of that.  Is that what you infer from
> the 37 upgrade page?   http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade37.html
>
> "Upgrading is a convenient way to bring your OpenBSD system up to the
> most recent version. However, the results are not intended to precisely
> match the results of a wipe-and-reload installation. Old library files
> in particular are not removed in the upgrade process, as they may be
> required by older applications that may or may not be upgraded at this
> time. If you REALLY wish to get rid of all these old files, you would
> probably be better off reinstalling from scratch. "
>
> I may take that last sentence to heart.  Installing OpenBSD has always
> been really easy.  It is recreating the existing environment that is
> consuming.  Good thing I took notes.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> Michael

Michael,

Sorry for the typo.  I meant no upgrade path from 3.5 to 3.7.  And
would seriously advocate against doing the two-step upgrade, precisely
because of the library issues.  If you do go the upgrade route,
absolutely take bruno's advice and do a test run someplace else...the
upgrades themselves will be fine, but there *will* be library and
depenedency issues.  It's also a seriously time intensive process,
bcause in order to make sure you have everything configured correctly,
you'll need to update everything from ports twice, too.  There may be
things that were dropped or changed in unacceptable (to you) ways
between 3.5 and 3.7, but some of them may have had acceptable 3.6
ports.

At least run a quick diff on the ports trees from the various releases.

If you can, though, wipe and install is probably going to be the
easiest and quickest solution any time you skip a release.

best,

Jay