[nycbug-talk] BSDCan Report Thread

Isaac Levy ike
Tue May 10 13:31:15 EDT 2005

Hi All,

Since circumstance has made me the first NYC*BUG person up in Ottawa, I
thought I'd start a rolling thread on what's going on up here.

--
The initial scene:

Saw Dan Langille last night, as always, he seems exited and busy...
Looks like he's got a few final tasks to wrap up, but he walked me over
to the conference area on campus, it's AMAZING.  For those who attended
last year, this year is in a different building- the Engineering
building.  The building is a totally georgous construcion of concrete,
steel, and GLASS- lots of light, easy access to step outside to smoke.
(Personally, I'd go if the Conference is in a flooded basement, of a
condemned building, but these diggs are seriously classy.)

The conference rooms look great, fully equipped with video projectors
and chalkboards even.  There's also a nice perch/area with a bunch of
tables, in case any spontaneous hacking takes place- or folks just
wanna sit down with a laptop and focus on doing something.

Early arrival growing pains:
The campus data network has some cruddy Cisco vpn client auth system
junk- so I'm writing this offline, in hopes to find open wireless
somewhere around the city, (it seems the Ottawans were watching the
previous NYC*BUG thread on Open WiFi nodes and took George's side...
grrrr).  This is temporary, Dan said wifi inet is coming for us.

--
Travel Tips for expatriates:

If you smoke, BRING CIGARETTES!!!  Hell, bring me cigarettes!!!! (I
like Galouses rolling tobacco or Lucky Strikes).  I just had to buy a
pack of Drum for $13.50 Canadian last night- this is a very very bad
thing- spread the word.

Try to do your cash exchange at the airport- or at the banks, places
around town tend to try to rip off and charge more for USD/CAD
exchanges.

Weather is warmer than NYC this week, no need for heavy parkas- likely
sweaters/windbreakers at night are adequate.

Bring comfy shoes- it's a few 'city blocks' walk from
accomodations/parking, over to the Engineering building.

Bring Patch/Crossover cables!!!  Dan is orchestrating wireless internet
access at the conference area, but things are fairly sparce outside of
that...

--
So with that, I'm gonna crack some WEP keys now and get this mail sent
out, See yall' here!!!

Rocket-
.ike