[nycbug-talk] Zephyr has left the building

N.J. Thomas njt
Wed May 11 03:02:55 EDT 2005

I was looking for MIT's Zephyr (one of the first IM systems) in
FreeBSD's ports system recently.

A bit of digging uncovered the fact that it was removed about 2 years
ago, presumably because it was chronically broken and probably also due
to lack of popularity.

The reason I wanted to use it was not because I needed an IM client
(Gaim works fine for me), but rather because I used Zephyr as a
notification system, i.e. I did something like this quite a bit:

    make >& log && echo "make complete" |zwrite `whoami`

This allowed me to work on whatever I was doing on my system and when
make was done, I would get a little window pop up on my desktop
notifying me.

So does anyone know of a similar tool? All I need is some window to come
up in X with some info in it.

thanks,
Thomas

--